The Friends of Gorse Hall
Using the past to promote the future
BeatrixPotter

The Leech Family

The Leech family of Gorse Hall were descendants of the Leech's of Chatsworth in Derbyshire. Members of the family moved to the Stalybridge and Dukinfield area around the 17th century as yeoman farmers. In 1748 the hamlet of Stalybridge had a population of only 120.

The Leech family became a very wealthy mainly through the cotton industry. Cotton spinning powered by water came to Stalybridge in or about 1776, mainly because of the river Tame that runs through the centre of the town. The river provided the power to operate the machinery in the mills that made Stalybridge one of the main northern towns for cotton spinning. Most of John Leech's money was made through his spinning mills.

Around 1795 he joined with a venture with others in the town (George Cheetham, Thomas Harrison and John Lees) to build and run a cotton mill in Castle Street nicknamed "The Bastille"(after the fall, of the Bastille 6 years earlier). In 1801 they installed a steam engine (one of the first in the area) but in 1804 the mill was burnt down. The four then each decided to build a new mill". In 1805 John Leech bought land next to the newly opened canal and had a mill built where now stands "Clock Tower Mill". To help keep his large work force loyal he had built for them what are known as tied houses. This ensured that workers were reluctant to join strikes or create trouble for fear of being sacked and loosing the tenancy of the house. In 1818 he became the first in the area to construct a gas making plant that would light up his factories, (it is recorded that people would come from miles around to see his mill lit up at night). The surplus gas produced he would sell to other mill owners throughout the town. After dying in 1822 at the age of 68 the family business was taken over by his 21 year old son John.

The second John Leech had many successful business ventures from an early age. Later to have the nickname "Ready money Jack", John then bought land on the opposite side of Grosvenor Street, at the foot of Hob Hill, where he had a new mill built. Part of this mill was built to a height of 7 stories which made it the tallest in the area. Asked why he had the mill built to this height, he replied "There's no ground rent to pay up there" John Leech bought the Gorse Hall estate from the Astley family in 1835. Using stone from nearby quarries he built a sizeable mansion which he called Gorse Hall. The cottage already built on the estate was to become known as Old Gorse Hall (recent research shows this cottage to have been inhabited from around 1530) this makes it one of the earliest stone buildings in the area.

Throughout the time of John Leech's ownership of Gorse Hall, improvements and alterations were made to enhance the estate and make it one of the finest in the area. The original farm stables were extended and fitted out with fine wooden panelled stalls and wooden cladding, (it is said the interior of the stables were palatial) with living quarters above for coachmen and staff. The finely laid out gardens, edged by rhododendrons and hawthorn, incorporated greenhouses, a sun house and fernery. The orchard and vinery made these gardens self sufficient as well as ornamental. The impressive fountain strategically placed at the crown of the coach road would have impressed all who visited ore all when arriving by one of the Brougham horse drawn coaches that John Leech owned. On the estate was a footpath used by his mill workers who walked from Dukinfield and Newton. This footpath ran across the lower part of the coach road leading to the mill To stop any workers trespassing onto the estate he had a passageway and tunnel built that ran under the coach road Three feet wide and five feet deep this passage ran about 100 yards up the hillside making sure that no one could be seen on his estate.

Another of John Leech's ventures was the building of sea going steamships to import and export cotton, tea or any other commodity that he could trade on the Manchester Exchange. These ships were built in a shipyard in Biddeford, Devon, and based at Manchester and Liverpool. Goods were transported by barge along the canal straight to his factories in Stalybridge

John and his brother William helped with the starting of ma Unitarian church in Stalybridge by allowing the use of their former home, Hob Hill House, to be used as a Sunday School. They later gave a piece of land for a Unitarian Church to be built (The foundation stone was laid by Mrs Jane Leech on whit Friday 1869) on land on what is now known as Forester Drive. John Leech was married in 1832 to Jane Leech, they had eight children two of whom unfortunately died in infancy. John Leech died at Gorse Hall in 1861 aged 60. His wife Jane lived on at the mansion until her death in 1884. Two of their youngest daughters, Elizabeth and Helen, married two brothers named Potter whose family ran a successful calico printing business at Dinting in Glossop, Derbyshire, five miles from Stalybridge.

Helen Leech and Rupert Potter were married in the Unitarian Chapel in Hyde, Cheshire. For the first three years of their marriage they lived in Upper Harley Street London, then moving to 2 Bolton Gardens, Kensington. It was here that Helen Beatrix Potter was born on July 28th 1886. She lived and worked at Bolton Gardens until 1913. After the death of Jane Leech Gorse Hall was left unoccupied until bought by William Storrs, a wealthy local builder, in 1891 and given as a wedding gift to his son George Harry Storrs. It was here that George Harry was brutally murdered in 1909. The Grosvenor Street mills were bought by the Lancashire Cotton Corporation in 1929 and pulled down shortly afterwards. The Clock Tower Mill is still in use today.